Friday, March 19, 2010

Vegan Dinner Menu

Tonight there were no leftovers = lot of cooking . having friends motivated me to try a couple of new dishes.
Wild Rice Soup ; an Esselstyn recipe from the book : Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease
Baked buttercup squash
sweet n spicy cabbage
rice salad
cannellini beans with mushrooms and escarole

Squash: peel and cube the squash. cover a cookie sheet in aluminum foil. I find the heavy duty foil works best for not sticking. I don't use any oil in my cooking. spread the squash out. lightly sprinkle with salt, that brings out the sweet. bake at 400 for 30 minutes. drizzle with maple syrup or agave syrup. cook another 5-15 min. depending on your oven. make sure the cubes are very soft .

saute thinly sliced onion, 2- 3 golden apples (peeling and slivered), shred ( or very thinly chop)head of cabbage. season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice. drizzle some agave syrup near the end. I use my cast iron dutch oven and cook this over a low hear for 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment